Monday, November 7, 2011

Restoring the Farm

After countless years of trying to remodel rooms in our home and "update" them, I have finally come to the conclusion that I live in a Farmhouse. So, let's make it look like it is suppose to look. Like a Farmhouse. It sits in the country, there is a magnificent barn out back with horses in the pasture and cats in the hay mow. Making it look like a townhouse or bungalow just doesn't work. So my handy husband and I headed upstairs to the part of this old house that needed the most love. Our youngest had moved out and her room was a good place to start. I REALLY wished I had before pictures but I never think to do that. I'm too anxious to dig in! We started with a piece of trim we found in the cellar that must have been around the windows at one time and took off for the Amish neighbor to see if he could recreate it for us. Original Trim Check!
We dug out grandma's bed she slept in when she was a little girl and threw on a chanille bedspread and added the pillowcases grandma embroidered. I refuse to put anything new in this room! We then added favorite family photos and writings of our daughters above the headboard.

It took me months to find the perfect little accessories and I found this great little shelf for her favorite clock at a barn sale for $1.00. It's her favorite thing in the room.
We also added planked hand hewn looking wood flooring that was pretty close to what the original looked like. I purchased a quilt at an auction last summer too that had all the perfect color to match the robin egg blue. Now on the lookout for a quilt hanger so we can hang it on the wall. For now it sits on the leather chair I found at an auction with all the perfect cracks in it.
The dresser is all chipped up in the perfect way and the window is all trimmed out with the headers and wood blinds. Wow! What a difference and I am kicking myself for not having a before picture. Off to the room next door with the same layout. Let's make it for the boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment