Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Cherries and Patience










My husband and I ventured out to do one of his favorite things on Fathers Day. He loves to get in the car and drive up to Michigan to gather or pick produce. Right now the Cherries are ripe and plentiful. We have great memories of picking cherries, and peaches in Michigan. We go to the same orchard every year where they are chemical free and safe to eat right off the tree. The weather was perfect and the trees were loaded. We have our own special spot where we sneak off to away from the natural flow of cherry pickers where the trees are more plentiful.








We got two boxes of dark cherries and one box of sour cherries. I ran to the car to get the checkbook while Terry had them weighed. I got back and he informes me that they are $75.00! Since when is getting back to nature and storing up your food become so expensive?! We have reached the pinacle. It is now way cheaper to fill your body with junk than to eat healthy from the earth. We even cut out the middle man! I guess we were paying for the ambiance. Which I have to admit was perfect.








My husband and I have been doing a study on the fruits of the Spirit. For several weeks we have been studying "Patience". Need I say more? One quote that we wrote down in our notes is "Patience is not waiting.... It is how you act while you wait". Ouch! What does patience have to do with picking Cherries? We picked them quit quickly and enjoyed every minute of it. Loaded them up in our car, stopped and got a half regular/half sweet tea and pulled onto I94 to head home. About a mile on down the road. The air conditioning went off, the windows wouldn't roll down and all the lights on the dash were gone on our little old Beamer. We looked at each other and smiled. It was fathers day, we were on the side of the road with Semi's blowing past us. We each had two bars on our cell phones. How were we going to act? Man, this is getting long..... I'm just going to post the pictures and let you finish the story with one final note. Those $2.49 a lb. cherries are currently costing us about $75.00 a lb. and the final bill isn't in yet!












1 comment:

  1. I must say, I was impressed with your outlook in the midst of it all.
    Love that picture of Dad in the cherries

    ReplyDelete